Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Need a Wheat Grinder

I am still working on my goals for 2009, and one of them is to get my food storage more stocked and organized. I am at the point of needing a wheat grinder...

I bake my own bread about once a week or so, but I've been buying (already ground) [red]wheat flour from the store. Once your wheat is ground it loses a lot of it's nutrients while it's being stored, unless you keep it in the freezer. So I've been using lower nutrient wheat for my bread all this time and didn't even realized it. Plus it's red wheat, which is great! But I strongly prefer white wheat over red!! It tastes amazing and has just as many nutrients as the red. The bread is lighter in color, sweeter tasting, and provides a perfect texture; which makes it very kid-friendly!!

I finally went to the church cannery the other day and got 100 pounds of hard white wheat! I never thought I would get so excited over a few bags of WHEAT... but I am absolutely giddy about it! I used my friend's wheat grinder to grind some up right away, and made some delicious bread already. Here and here are my 2 favorite wheat bread recipes.

Also, I learned a lot about wheat from this great website!!

So I need a wheat grinder, but I don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone know where to find a good one for a good price? Suggestions?? Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I have the same question! Will you post about the answer when you find a good solution???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela...you know, it's funny you mention that we have the same dining table...I noticed that on one of your old birthday posts when you first started your blog! How ironic. :)

    In 2007 I was looking for a wheat grinder. I was discouraged because most of the ones I was looking at (like the Whisper Mill and others like it) did not have a coarse setting for cracked wheat (which I love!) The coarsest setting was still pretty fine. After looking around at other brands I found that the kind of wheat grinder I wanted was about $500! No way!

    What I ended up doing was getting a VitaMix blender. I had been wanting one for awhile anyway. It has helped us eat fresher and healthier, and I bought the dry attachment to grind my wheat! In the dry attachment you can also grind peanuts to make your own peanut butter and more. Anyway, so for $375 I got a blender AND a wheat grinder, whereas I would have just gotten a Whisper Mill for the same price. That was in 2007 and it was seriously one of the best decisions I have made.

    That same year we had an Enrichment Provident Living group on this topic. A lady came and she had severla different wheat gridners so we could see first hand how they worked, etc. It was very helpful in my decision.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I really like your new paper background. Love the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need one of these too! I would have no idea what to do with my wheat (besides soak in water!) Kinda defeats the purpose of a wheat supply, huh? I know that my mom bought one from Emergency Essentials when they had a sale...maybe watch for another sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know they are pretty pricey, so maybe while saving for one, a good alternative is a coffee grinder, they work just the same, just in smaller doses. My friend I think uses her coffee grinder to grind wheat. Also, next time you buy wheat ang, try the white wheat, and alternate between them, it is easy on the digestive system and to get use to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a NutriMill that I love. It has a coarse setting and a fine setting and it's quiet. I got mine at Shar's in Mesa. LOVE it! White wheat is better than red. I've recently started cooking my wheat kernals over night in the crock pot and using the "wheat berries" in things like tuna and chicken salad sandwhiches, different salads, and mixed with cream of wheat. GREAT ways to use up your wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog! I just discovered you. I too am a baking bread nut and I love my nutrimill. Unfortunately they aren't cheap but I thing a wheat grinder is a good investment in health.These things will last for years and years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harvest House in Boise, is run out of my parents home 208-855-0744. They sell the best kinds of wheat grinders. And I think they still sell the Vita-Mix as well. I have a wheat grinder and a vita-mix. They have separate, but equally important roles. :) I love to make smoothies with fruits and veggies in the mornings. And i love to make whole wheat bread with my grinder and Bosch mixer! I love that my children are learning good healthy habits!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails