Monday, May 17, 2010

Are You a Mama on Meds?

It seems like there are tons of moms/women, these days, on some kind of medication.  Most of the time for depression and/or anxiety (from what I've noticed).   

I take 9 pills each day (which includes my daily vitamin suppliments).  Would you like to know what kind of meds I take?  Okay friends, I'm going out on a limb here... 

Each day I take: A daily multi vit/min suppliment, 2,000mg of Vitamin D, A baby asprin, Pravastatin, Metformin (at least 1,000mg), Zoloft (only 50mg), and Adderall (twice/day).  Yep, I'm dependant on DRUGS.  

My personal feelings about medication: 
1- We ALL need to suppliment with daily vitamin/minerals these days. 
2- Vitamin D is vital to us women.  I heard that it can actually reverse some causes of cancer. 
3- Baby asprin can't hurt ya (unless you're alergic to asprin) and will help prevent our blood from clotting.
What's more...
4- If you are depressed, anxious, bi-polar, or have any other form of mental disorder... don't be ashamed... get on something!  If you are a mess mentally it will not only make YOU miserable, as well as everyone else around you.  Call your doc right NOW and get a prescription.  Being "on medication" does not mean you are "CRAZY" in the head.  It means that there is a physical, chemical imbalance inside your brain that can be temporarily fixed with some "chemical" help.  WITH that help, you'll be able to find the REAL you, all balanced out.  Your physical/chemical ailment (that causes your "mental" reactionss) can be masked with meds.  And you will feel SO grateful for modern technology which makes that possible!  (It might take trying a few different meds before you find the one that works best for you, so don't give up.)

What are YOUR feelings about MEDS?  
Comment on this post to SHARE! 
(And don't forget to vote on the anonymous poll to the right!)
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure you and your readers know this, but I just wanted to reiterate that a big part of getting better from mental illness is therapy. Taking a pill every morning isn't going to magically fix everything. A lot of hard work goes into getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABSOLUTELY! I totally agree with you about the therapy thing. People also need to learn HOW to deal with mental illness. Therapy is an important factor! Never think you are "above" therapy. It can be such a blessing to you and your loved ones!! Thanks for bringing that up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, not sure what to add...I can't think of a single friend of mine on med's or should be taking med's. Sad. It doesn't fix the problem, just mask's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been "Lurking" for a long time, and I LOVE your blog! :) Thank you for such a bold, honest post! About 5 years ago, I was hit by a van while crossing the street on a walking field trip with my second grade class (the driver lost control of his vehicle.) I never gave much thought to meds. or therapy before it happened. I never thought it was truly necessary for people. However, after suffering such a trauma, I saw a counselor for about 6 months and it helped tremendously. I truly believe that hormones, traumatic situations, stress, etc. CAN throw some people "out of balance" and that certain types of therapy and medical intervention CAN HELP. We have to be honest. This is not something to hide or be ashamed of. I think there are a lot of people out there who work through these types of situations but feel they have to hide it for one reason or another. It takes a certain type of strength to admit you need help. We can't truly judge anyone until we are in their shoes. Thank you, thank you thank you for pursuing honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! While I don't think people should take meds when they're not needed, I think they can be a great thing if you use them when you need them and don't abuse them. Meds saved me from some very hard times during my life (of course, with therapy too) so I don't have a problem with them at all. Recently, I started to get anxious with all my meds and vitamins to keep track of, so I bought a bigger weekly medicine container with AM & PM slots. That helps keep me organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that SOMETIMES meds work, but ONLY combined with therapy. Research and understand all possible side effects before you jump onto the "med-head" wagon. I thought they would save my life. Turned out the meds made me gain over 100 lbs. Not so great for depression. I just weaned myself off of them so I could finally get a handle on my weight. After 8 1/2 years of being a med-head, I am no more (except for multi-vitamin and mineral supplements)!!! I urge everyone to be so very careful before starting meds for anxiety and depression. Regardless of what the drs say, THEY ARE ADDICTIVE and you will gain weight! Be informed before you pop the pill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget about the poor liver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently was in an accident that has left me feeling less than normal not to mention I am over 30 which makes me OLD lol After several visits to the Dr and visiting with my husband I have decided against the meds and going to a natural therapy. I started exercising every morning which was very hard for me I hate mornings and would rather stay in bed. I walk every morning with a friend if the weather is bad we do Zumba, or P90X. Then, I have used essential oils from Young Living Farms this has helped so much. They have a raindrop technique that helps. I feel better and it like the meds hasn't fixed the problem completely it has just given me knowledge and a clear mind to deal and understand it so that my family doesn't suffer from my depression.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow ladies... Thanks for all of your very honest thoughts and comments! I really appreciate your courage and honesty. This can be a touchy and sensative subject for many.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use meds for severe arthritis. You should see the look on peoples faces when I tell them I take oxycodone and oxycontin plus my other arthritis meds. They look like I am crazy to use such addictive meds. But seriously I have no choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Thanks so much for this post. I have been taking a daily regiment of pills for the last 4 years and seems that it will never go away. But the stereotype against mentally ill people especially us women is so great that most of us wont admit it. For me I take a mood stabilizer (its new dont know the name riesperdone?) Zoloft I am at 200 mg, clozenpam if needed, back pain meds and anti flamitory! Guess that is what having five kids will do to you!. I do agree that therapy is one of those necessary thing and did that and then realized that mine is a chemical deficiencies. So I have done both and right now meds are my sanity and my families sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree!!! I've been on antidepressants for all my adult life. I only wish I'd started sooner. They have saved my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails