Thursday, September 27, 2012

General {Conference Countdown}

Our kids love General Conference
It is a blessing to see the traditions we have for Holidays(and yes, conference is like a Holiday at our home) make such an impact on them. I made this Countdown to further their excitement for the big weekend. I was inspired by the September issue(pg. 11) of the Friend. I took about 1/2 of the ideas then added some of my own. Sorry this is so late in coming.
I decided to start the Countdown at 15 (12 apostles and 3 in the First Presidency) because each night we  focus on one of the men. It  just helps them remember who they will be watching. You can purchase the 8x10 photos here.
Cut a backboard 8"x11" (paint black) and a piece of beadboard 6"x9 1/4".
Paint the whole board a lighter color(I had cream).
Sand it.
Glue (Mod Podge) paper strips to fit the flat grooves of the beadboard. Add the vinyl title & hammer 2 nails( I used finishing nails 8d 2 1/2" from Home Depot)into the wood. *TIP: I predrilled the holes for the nails so when I hammered it wouldn't split the wood. Drill holes in the JUMBO sticks. Go slow because they split easy. I did a few at a time.
Use JUMBO sticks for the countdown numbers & activities.
After doing the activity(the backside of the stick), turn the stick over & place on "right" nail.
I have a printable here. I will list it here as well:
#15 Sing "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet (hymn pg 19) and
talk about why we have General Conference
#14 Scavenger Hunt or Scripture Chase verses about Prophets
#12 Read about the righteous Nephites in 4 Nephi 1: 1-13, 16-18
#11 Do a Service. This one is a great idea for Home/Visiting Teaching Families.
#10 Read an inspirational story from the Friend. I found this one.
#9 Sing "Follow the Prophet" (Children's Songbook pg 110-11)
#8 Talk about this teaching from Elder M. Russell Ballard: "Today I make you a promise. It's a simple one, but it is true. If you will listen to the living Prophet and the Apostles and heed our counsel, you will not go astray."
#7 Read about King Benjamin speaking to his people (Mosiah 2: 1,5,9,41).
How is this meeting like General Conference? Coloring page here.
#6 Play a game. This one seems fun.
#5 Read about Lehi's Liahona (1 Nephi 16: 10, 28-29 & Alma 37: 38-40). How are the words of the prophets like a Liahona for our family today?
#4 Pick out snacks to enjoy while watching Conference. We usually pick out snacks for everyone to share but I let them choose a candy that is just for them. They still have that choice to share though.
 #3 Write in your journal specific question and thoughts you have.
Pray to have your mind focused and heart opened.
#1 Sing "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" (hymn pg 19)

Pin It Pin It

7 comments:

  1. What a super cute idea. My kids would love this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather!!!! This is so awesome on so many levels! I am wishing I was teaching right now, we are on break...how cool would this be to do everyday as devotional! You can print your apostle/prophet pictures from the church website too! This is just INSPIRED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Beautiful work from plates, Thanks for sharing Wonderful pics, Thanks!!






    Please also click on this keywords please :-- structured settlement | selling structured settlements | cash for structured settlement | selling annuities

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can't wait to do this countdown. Starting a couple days late, but still going to love it!!! Thank you for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Thank you so much. mobile truck repair

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Conference Countdown is very charming. I will definitely do the same to myself. But before I will start I have to understand how to write a college acceptance letter because it's also important for my studying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails